2nd Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas
Atlas EventsUpcoming Atlas Programs:
Spring 2017 Programs
Atlas Coordinator, Dr. Ashley Peele, will present an Atlas program at the following locations and dates:
- March 1, 730pm, Blacksburg. Hosted by the New River Valley Bird Club.
- March 4, 10am, Galax. Hosted by the BlueRidge Birders.
- March 13, 7pm, Roanoke. Hosted by the Roanoke Valley Bird Club.
- April 2, Loudoun County. Hosted by the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy.
- April 10, 7pm, Grundy. Hosted by the Buchanan County Bird Club.
- May 5-7, VSO Annual Meeting in Richmond inc. Atlas talk and workshop.
Regional and Local Training Sessions!
This is a new program for our second Atlas field season, but one we hope will provide helpful guidance for volunteers, both new and old. Regional session will consist of morning small group field trips/walks led by experienced Atlas volunteers, followed by a large group session on data entry, reporting priority species, accurate location plotting, etc. Drinks and snacks will be provided to registered participants. These events will be free, but please bring your own binoculars and laptops (if possible). Local events will be identical with the exception that they are BYOL (bring your own lunch).
- Northern Atlas Training - Co-sponsored by the Fairfax County Parks. Location: Frying Pan Farm Park. Date: April 1st. Time: 8am-1pm. Link to register: https://goo.gl/forms/gnKxoYX4yGUQXVu53
- Central Atlas Training - Co-sponsored by the Monticello Bird Club in Charlottesville. Location: Ivy Creek Nature Preserve. Date: March 25th. Time: 8am-1pm. Link to register: https://goo.gl/forms/DwOOGFUIWCObDvD12
- Western Atlas Training - Co-sponsored by the New River Valley Bird Club in Blacksburg. Location: Virginia Tech. Date: April 15th. Time: 8am-2pm (with a break for lunch). Link to register: https://goo.gl/forms/jrbwiW4AxzEdPCmY2
- Southwestern BBA Workshop - To be held at Emory and Henry Bartlett-Crowe Field Station, just south of Glade Spring. This workshop will include field and data entry training by Dr. Steven Hopp. Date: April 29. Time: 8am-1pm. Please email Dr. Hopp to sign-up for this event (email@example.com).
- Eastern Atlas Training - To be held at the VSO Annual Meeting in Richmond, May 6th at 4pm. This will be an indoor session, focused on data reporting, location accuracy, etc. Please sign-up when you register for the meeting. Following link below for more meeting info.
- Mount Rogers Naturalist Rally - May 12-14, Konnarock. Dr. Peele and southwest regional coordinator, Dr. Steven Hopp, will be leading several Atlas field workshops as part of this event. These workshops will take place in the morning and afternoon of Saturday, May 13th. This rally is always a unique opportunity to experience this beautiful ecoregion with experienced naturalist guides, so register today at http://blueridgediscoverycenter.org/mrnr
- Roanoke Valley Atlas Training Session - June 10, Burnt Chimney, 0800-1300. This workshop will include a morning field walk focused on breeding behavior observations, then a follow-up data entry and smartphone tools session. The area we will be birding in has a great mix of early successional, forest, and open field habitats. Given that this event will be held at an Atlas volunteer home, we have limited space. Please contact Alyce Quinn (twoquinns_at_yahoo.com) to reserve a spot by June 4th and get further event details.
VSO Annual Meeting in Richmond, May 5-7. The mighty birding minds of the Richmond Audubon Society will be hosting this year's VSO meeting. The weekend will be filled with field trips and talks, many geared towards building your Atlas birding skill set. Don't miss what is always a fun few days of birding and learning for wildlife watchers of all ages and experience levels. Click here for more info about this event: RAS to Host 2017 VSO Meeting