2nd Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas
Atlas EventsUpcoming Atlas Programs:
Spring 2018 Programs
Atlas Coordinator, Dr. Ashley Peele, will present an Atlas program at the following locations and dates:
- March 22, 730pm, Shenandoah University campus, Winchester. Hosted by the Northern Shenandoah Valley Audubon Society.
- April 12, 7pm, Sandy Bottom Nature Park, Hampton. Hosted by the Hampton Roads Bird Club.
- April 13, 930-1230pm, Mini-Atlas Training Session at Freedom Park, Williamsburg. Hosted by the Williamsburg Bird Club.
Regional and Local Training Workshops 2018
Last year's training workshops were such a success that we're bakc for a second year! These workshops will provide helpful guidance for volunteers, both new and old, as we head into year 3 of the VABBA2. Training workshops will consist of morning small group field trips/walks led by experienced Atlas volunteers, followed by an indoor session on data entry, reporting priority species, accurate location plotting, etc. Drinks and snacks will be provided to registered participants. These events will be free to registered participants, but please bring your own binoculars and laptops (if possible).
- Southeastern Workshop - April 14 (08:00-14:00) Hampton Aquatics Center, Hampton Roads. All participants must register at: https://goo.gl/forms/iqlnVOzm7KW48RYr2
- Northern Neck Workshop - April 22 (08:00-14:00) Eastern VA Rivers NWR Complex, Wilna Unit, Warsaw. All participants must register at: https://goo.gl/forms/0wE9xNBe591TZc3D2
- Eastern Shore Workshop - April 28 (08:00-14:00) Brownsville Preserve, Nassawadox. All participants must register at: https://goo.gl/forms/dCahp1aVvFtEp5hw1
- Mount Rogers Naturalist Rally - May 11-13, Konnarock. Dr. Peele and southwest regional coordinator, Dr. Steven Hopp, will be leading a birding workshop on Saturday morning, May 12. Additionally, Dr. Peele will be leading a breeding bird inventory hike on Whitetop Mountain, Sunday morning, May 13. This rally is always a unique opportunity to experience this beautiful ecoregion with experienced naturalist guides, so register today at http://blueridgediscoverycenter.org/mrnr
- Western (Highland) Workshop and Atlas Rally Weekend - Jun 8-10, The Highland Inn and Center, Monterey. This is a weekend event, which includes a traditional Saturday workshop, Saturday evening group dinner, and Sunday morning field trips. Discounts for rooms at the Highland Inn will be provided to registered workshop participants, as well as a lunch and dinner on Saturday. All participants must register at: https://goo.gl/forms/vnCNoTb89V0E3Eao1
VSO Annual Meeting in Harrisonburg, May 18-20. The VSO Board will be hosting this year's annual meeting in Harrisonburg. The weekend will be filled with field trips and talks to beautiful montane habitats. Saturday field trips will largely be geared towards Atlas data collection and education. Don't miss what is always a fun few days of birding and learning for wildlife watchers of all ages and experience levels. Click here for more info about this event: http://www.virginiabirds.org/events/annual-meeting/2018-opening-announcement